Prepared by Bev Thompson
The following instructions are intended for use in making the Bowl Cozy cut by the Accuquilt Go Big die. The instructions can also be used as guidelines for making a Cozy from a fabric square.
Note: It is recommended to not microwave for more than 2 minutes at a time. Watch your microwave while in use.
IMPORTANT: All fabric, batting and thread MUST be 100% cotton Any synthetic material or thread will melt in the microwave and can cause a fire.
- Supplied in kit: 2 layers of 100% cotton fabric, 2 layers of 100% cotton batting
- If cutting your own squares, cut them 9.5” square for both the fabric and batting
- I use Wrap and Zap or Quilters Dream Select. I prefer Quilters Dream.
- Cotton thread
- Sewing machine
- Standard sewing foot
- Machine needle
- Press both the fabric and the batting to flatten it from being rolled up in the kit. Do not “iron” as it will stretch out the layers.
- Lay 1 piece of batting onto the wrong side 1 piece of fabric. Repeat for the remaining 2 pieces.
- Sew a straight line from one corner to the opposite corner. You will basically make an X across each block.
- Sew the darts. Fold the block in half RST. Sew ½” from the edge of the darts. You may want to press the seams of the darts open.
- Nest one block inside the other RST. Match corners and dart seams. Pin in place. Mark one section between a dart and just before the next corner to leave it open. This is where you will turn the cosy inside out. (Note: I place a pin horizontally to the edge as a reminder.) Sew around the edge using a scant ½” seam allowance.
- Check to make sure you have sewn with enough seam allowance to catch both layers of fabric and batting. Trim the corners to reduce the bulk.
- Turn right side out. Poke out the corners and finger press the seams to open the cozy up as much as possible. Fold the open area seam allowance inside the cozy and pin to anchor it. Top stitch around the edge about ~⅛” from the edge.