All of our meetings and sew days are posted as events on our Facebook page.
We normally meet the second Thursday of every month at Milpitas Police Department’s Community Room in Milpitas, CA; this can change, so please check the list below for the confirmed meeting dates for each month.
All of our meetings start at 7:00pm with “sewcial” period at 6:30pm.
Police Department Address:
1275 N Milpitas Blvd
Milpitas, CA 95035
Meeting and Event Dates for 2019:
- January 6 – Workshop: Color Fluency with Anna Maria Horner
- NOTE DATE CHANGE – January 9 – Guild Meeting | Anna Maria Horner
- members ONLY, no guests
- January 26 – Sew Day | MPD Community Room – sign up here
- February 14 – Guild Meeting | Design/Layout Activity
- February 17 – Sew Day | MPD Community Room – sign up here
- February 21-24 – QuiltCon, Nashville
- March 14 – Guild Meeting | Applique Demo
- March 17 – Sew Day | MPD Community Room – sign up here
- April 11 – Guild Meeting | How did we get here? A brief 3,000 year history of quilting – Lecture w/ Sharon Malachowski
- April 28 – “Sew Day” | Photo taking at Vasona Park, Los Gatos – sign up here
- May 9 – Guild Meeting | Machine Embroidery Demo
- May 12 – Sew Day | MPD Community Room – sign up here
- May 23-26 – Annual Retreat
- June 13 – Guild Meeting | Potluck and Destash
- June 15 – Sew Day | MPD Community Room – sign up here
- June 23 – Workshop | Materials Matrix w/ Sandra Bruce
- July 11 – Guild Meeting | “How Do I Quilt This?” Discussion/Activity
- July 21 – Sew Day | MPD Community Room – sign up here
- August 8 – Guild Meeting | Giucy Giuce Lecture/Trunk Show ($5 fee for guests)
- August 10 – Workshop | Modern Quilt Photography & Branding w/ Giucy Giuce
- August 17 – Sew Day | MPD Community Room – sign up here
- September 12 – Guild Meeting | A Quilter’s Guide to Graphic Design – MODERN TRIANGLE Trunk Show & Lecture by Rebecca Bryan
- September 14 – Workshop | Improv with Triangles w/ Rebecca Bryan
- September 21 –
Photo-taking day at Rodin Sculpture Garden, Stanford– CANCELLED
- October 10 – Guild Meeting | Sewing Machine Maintenance | 7pm, MPD
- October 13 – Sew Day | MPD Community Room – sign up here
- NOTE WEEKDAY CHANGE: November 13 – Guild Meeting | Tools Demo and Discussion | 7pm, MPD
- November 16 – Sew Day | MPD Community Room – sign up here
- December 7 – Workshop | Hand Quilting – Big Stitch w/ Tara Faughnan
- NOTE WEEKDAY CHANGE: December 11 – Guild Meeting | Potluck | 7pm, MPD
All of our sew days are “open sew” format. This means you can come and bring whatever you’d like to sew on for that day. 🙂
Themed Sew Days – We will continue to have special “themed” projects on a handful of sew days. This means members can choose to bring a project (bags, aprons, garments, free motion practice, etc.) that falls under the theme for that sew day and other members will be there to help each other out on that focused project if they choose to. (Kind of like a member-facilitated workshop.) Themed sew days will piggyback on our normal sew days but are in no way exclusive – you can attend the themed sew day and not work on the themed project. These themed days are just a fun way to all work on a similar project in which we can help each other out as we go.
Photo-taking Days – Sometimes we will forego the sewing room and venture out into the local area to photograph our projects. Members bring their cameras or simply camera phones and help each other to stage beautiful photographs of their quilts or other handmade items.
Here are a few members wearing their aprons made at our “Apron” sew day last year:
Sew Days are for SVMQG members only. If you are a member of another chapter of the MQG that would like to attend one of our sew days, please email us and we’ll see if we have extra space. If you are not a member already and interested in participating in our sews days, please look into signing up with our guild on our members page.
Annual Sewing Retreat:
Interested in attending a fun weekend retreat with a group of fun and creative quilters? Join our guild and get to know us at our Spring Retreat. Come to our next meeting or shoot us an email at email@example.com if you’re interested!
Interested in what an SVMQG Quilt Retreat looks like? Check it out here.